11.19.2003

A bad friend....

Why is it so hard to stay in touch with all of my friends at once? It seems that I can never be in touch with everyone at the same time--if I'm hanging out with a couple people all the time, I just don't see any of the other people.

I bring this up because I just got news (has yet to be confirmed) that one of my friends from work (stupid wig shop) may have cancer. She left me a phone message the other week to say that she would be off work for awhile due to a necessary operation. I tried to call her back but the line was busy. I completely forgot until yesterday when I heard from another ex-coworker that it may be cancer. I'm so worried about her. Shairoon is a really sweet lady who happens to be more than twice my age (60). We got along so well when we worked together. She's from Trinidad, loves all things cute & fuzzy & we have a mutual love of books---she only reads non-fiction (mostly about expeditions to explore far-away places) while I only read fiction. I really want her to be ok.

This whole thing reminds me (in a bad way) of the time when I nearly lost a friend (to some awful combination of bronchitis, some water-born disease & HIV) without even knowing it. I was really sad at about it, but it never struck me just how serious it really was (his lungs had collapsed). He was in Amsterdam at the time and it just didn't sink in. It's possible that I'm just too stupid.

I need to contact people...Hanna who may be moving to Sacramento or Toronto if her contract isn't renewed at her current workplace...I hope she's still there (otherwise I don't have a chance in hell of ever getting in touch with her). Damien & Bernd who are supposed to be back in town after living in Amsterdam, then Smithers & Calgary for the last couple years. Carrie who lives just down the street from me (literally)....on the verge of ending a 4 (?) yr relationship. Mariko who I don't see nearly enough of. Damn stupid anti-social self.

No comments: