1.23.2004

where is the sentiment?

While cleaning my room the other day, I came across the bonbonniers which I had saved from Louise & Mel's respective weddings. Is it really wrong of me to want to garbage them? I have thrown out much of late, seeing as I'm trying to adopt a new "I am not a pack-rat" mentality. (The odds are seriously against me on this as my mother & her mother before her are/were notorious for keeping useless junk + my father hords junk he collects from god knows where.) As far as I can see, these little "keepsakes" have no greater purpose in their meaningless inedible non-lives than sitting in my room to collect wandering dust particles. Am I wrong in this? I watched with considerable joy as the guys at my table at Louise's reception promptly opened theirs, proceeding to gulp them down while the girls all watched with dismay. I always open mine & usually try one of the pastel pink/blue/green candies but they're never any damn good as they were designed to spend a lifetime not getting eaten. I swear that if I ever have such a wedding I will either a.) not have any or b.)make it something edible & delicious that people can't help eating.

I mentioned this to Kim this morning & she told me that she had thought she should keep her friend's bonbonniers. Hmm, a piece of candy I can't eat (well I could, but it definitely it's typically rather unpleasant). I am not completely void of sentiment though--I have kept other mementos from their weddings--pictures, invitations, programs, etc.--but these?

No comments: